Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Today the headline in the Swedish daily paper read, "Annika outclassed everyone."

(But something about the photo of a woman swinging a golf club above made me think they might not have been talking about me.)

Saturday evening as I walked past a dark preschool on my way home I noticed that here are no large lights to light the playgrounds here. I wondered what it must be like having recess in the dark and for that not to be out of the ordinary. It struck me that despite the fact that we are practically living in the arctic circle this city gives off very little light pollution--there are SO many stars and if you're out on the right nights, the northern lights here are AMAZING. Walking a further I felt a slight sense of panic run through me as I looked across the dark landscape and imagined walking mid-afternoon under the same lighting conditions on just a few short months--I hope I make it through the winter without losing my sanity or developing any serious emotional disorders.

Monday morning for some reason, I looked at the thermostat in the kitchen before I left for class: it read -.2degrees Centigrade. It was 9am. Winter is on its way and I hear snow is in the forecast for the weekend. I hope all of you are enjoying your 60-70 degree weather back home!

This is my school, my place to work and play!

No comments:

Post a Comment