The theme of the week was "geek".
People by Wednesday people were asking, "Where have you been?" when I met them in the hall--our class more or less disappeared into the basement of the school in the new interaction workshop. (A workshop so new, no one knows it exists or where it is...)
It was our first week of a five week course we are calling, Expereience Prototyping. In addition to the human factors element of my future profession, this is why I study interaction design: we get to create and build our ideas of how our ideas should be experienced.
The first days have been learning how to control various motors, switches and LEDs and getting them to change things in their environments or on the computer screen, etc. This weekend's reading have focused on this idea of designing experiences and how this should factor into the future of design. The 2nd year product students are currently drafting a copy of their "design philosophy" for a writing course, something that is really important at this point in our work as we are now halfway through our studies and getting ready to delve into the "what to do my degree project about" conundrum. Well, we don't have the course, but I've been doing a fair amount of reading these past few months, and now trying to build a website for my portfolio, so somewhere in the midst of all the goings on this term, I hope to sort out what my own "design philosophy" is all about.
On a separate note...
After being here for over two years, I finally met someone at the pool last week who is part of a triathlon group here in Umea: I think I have a new swimming buddy! woohoo, it's about time :)
my brother is real interested in robots and blinking lights and whatnot. hes always trying to program various bits of hardware to do stuff, and would always talk to me about it on a level far above and beyond my level of understanding. it would remind me of the time when i was 7 that he tried to explain variables to me.
ReplyDeleteits so true what they say. there are 10 types of people in the world. those that understand binary, and those that dont.