Last night I was at a very nice dinner party. We had salmon, parsnip and potato mash, asparagus and salad. For desert there was a fabulous chocolate cake, homemade apple-cherry crumble, an assortment of sorbets and vanilla ice cream. Being the polite guest that am, I could not turn down the crumble but who can eat a fruit crumble without vanilla ice cream-type compliment? I usually opt for the dairy free version because my tummy does not like ice cream nearly as much as I do but here I was faced with a dilemma. Mango, raspberry, lime or chocolate sorbet just wouldn't do. So onto my desert plate a placed a spoonful of ice cream. The crumble and cake were both delicious. And yes, they would have been OK without the ice cream, but really just OK. The vanilla ice cream just balanced everything out nicely.
Except in my tummy.
Within minutes of the tasty desert, my stomach was hurting. I poked at it, trying to make the irritation subside. (I realize this sounds counter intuitive, but it really does seem to alleviate the problem if only for a moment.) Fortunately for me, one of the girls at the party could relate to my situation. Additionally, she is also a nursing student with a naturopath who had given her some brilliant advice on what to do in a situation just like the one I had gotten myself into. Now this may sound a little unconventional, but I swear to you, this really does work--FAST. As a lactard, I lack the proper enzymes to process that tasty lactose laden desert and instead of it quietly breaking down, it begins to ferment creating unpleasant pressures. To counteract this, try a little bitters or triple distilled liquor to change the acidity in your stomach. Just a half ouce of vodka seemed to do the trick for me.
One more time: THANK YOU, JANNA. That a is freaking brilliant solution!
this is your most ridiculous post of all time. but it's great.
ReplyDeleteisn't it though? sometimes you just have to overshare-- very, very publicly.
ReplyDelete