Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Getting out there


(Yes, that is me on the boat!)

Life outside of school is providing me with a whole new set of activities. I am officially a member of a coed recreational soccer team. While I haven't gotten out of the city much so far (I only manged to ski once on a team morale event with work) I am working on it...

One of my goals when I moved to Sweden in the fall of 2005 was to start sailing. Having moved to Umea, this was not very feasible to obtain with both a prolonged winter and a very shallow river. Moving to Chicago certainly held the promise of being able to fulfill this wish. Of course, moving to the Pacific Northwest has provided me with plenty of promising possibilites... Back in the "chilly" winter months I signed up to sail one Sunday in April, and just this past Friday I got in touch with a boat in need/want of extra crew members.

In short, this weekend was spent on the water. On Satuday I joined a J105 boad for a regata on Puget Sound and spent Sunday zipping about on Lake Washington with some other aspiring sailors. In the coming weeks, I'm hoping to get out more and more. We'll get some practice on the J-boat on Saturday, and in a few weeks *hopefully* I'll be heading off for a weekend sailing/camping cruise to Blake Island :D

2 comments:

  1. If you beat me in this sport too, it's going to be a problem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that looks so lovely Annika. hope you get to do that with some true summer clothes soon.

    J.

    ReplyDelete