Saturday, November 28, 2009

While my internet connection is behaving.

I've been neglectful of my blog; I have been busy moving and sailing and generally keeping up with what should amount to an ordinary life. My spare time in the past weeks has been devoted to (when my internet connection is working) scouring the internets for apartments, furniture and whatnot.

I moved into my own place two weeks ago after sharing various apartments since my move to Seattle last November. This is the first time I've lived on my own and had the means to furnish my apartment. (My lonely year on Gorham St in Madison senior year in college when I worked 40 hours a week while in school full time trying to pay rent on 1.5 apartments wasn't exactly a cushy situation.)



Even now with a full time job, going from supplying nothing but furnishings in my own bedroom to suddenly a place all to my own is going to take some time. So far, the place is still pretty sparse. First order of business was getting a bed frame the fit in my smaller bedroom. I got a free sofa from work, a retro kitchen table and stools on craigslist and am working to set up a functional kitchen--dishes are now in the cupboards and a new set of pots and pans are en-route as I write. Bookshelves for the living room, additional seating, and a dining table are still to come.

I spent Thanksgiving with my cousin Sam, his financée Vanessa, her mother and Jannes who recently moved back to Seattle. It was my first time spending the holiday with extended family, an option that had not even occurred to me when I first decided not to go back to Minneapolis for the holiday. I was pretty nervous at first about eating such an extensive meal cooked by someone else with the dietary restrictions I myself have yet to fully understand but Sam and Vanessa were incredibly accommodating and we had a really nice time.



I love the weekends we take J-22's out on Lake Washington. They are really fun boats to sail.
Earlier this month, we took out two and got to play a bit racing with our crew split between two boats.



There is talk of going out tomorrow, but I've been fighting a sore throat now for a while and I'm going to be responsible stay in out of the cold. : /

1 comment: