Recently, the top secret can't-talk-about-it incubation project I've been working on for the past year and a half was cancelled, the new business it was under was shut down and the project was archived in the big, in-case-anyone-wants-to-see-an-unfinished-conept-we're-going-to-keep-it-here-forever vault (and leaving the work we did never to see the public light of day. Not surprisingly with such a change in the group, I too was eventually let go.
Yes, I am back in the market, looking for a new creative environment that will give me the opportunity to make use of all those fancy skills I learned in graduate school and extend the ones that I have been building while working at Microsoft. In the meantime, I've been fortunate enough to land a short term gig working in Sony Ericsson's Creative Design studio. Very cool.
The one draw back is the location --not that San Francisco isn't a perfectly lovely city: The people here are friendly, the studio is open, the projects are interesting and the city has plenty to offer-- but as you may have realized by this juncture, I am a tad keen on my friends and life in Seattle. If they would only move everyone from the SE office up to the Puget Sound I'd be happy as a clam.
I digress...
I need to be in Seattle to find a job but I also need to be in San Francisco for work. On the weekends I need to be in Seattle for sailing. (Don't bother trying to argue with me here, this and next month are filled with several serious sailing engagements I can not and will not miss.)
So not unlike many people who commute for work, I have joined the strange world of traveling between cities -- flying out Sunday evenings to work for four days in San Francisco and then back to Seattle Thursday evenings for a Friday of meetings and all the other day to day life engagements I have the time and energy to cram into the single free day I have in Seattle. Saturday mornings it's up early for sailing, and often Sundays too before hopping back on a plane to start it all over again.
Ok ok, ONE photo for you.
Shoot the Moon on the downwind leg towards Double Bluff -- our average boat speed? 9.2 knots!
Intense. But be careful: "Every ten minutes of commuting results in ten per cent fewer social connections. Commuting is connected to social isolation, which causes unhappiness.”
ReplyDeleteRead more: http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2007/04/16/070416fa_fact_paumgarten?currentPage=all#ixzz0mLgZhRFP
Wow, welcome to my life from 2004-2006. Weird, right?
ReplyDeleteYes. I still see this as a temporary thing: Not longer than a couple of months. It is less social and definitely a weird lifestyle but at least I have friends a life and friends to go home to on the weekends and somehow that makes it seem more reasonable for a little while.
ReplyDeleteLooks like you're going fast!
ReplyDeletePuget Sound would be a good place for office...