Monday, November 29, 2010

Friends and Snow



This year, I spent Thanksgiving on the Olympic Peninsula with friends; we rented house just outside the Olympic National Park and not far from the Salish Sea-- I had envisioned a weekend of the great outdoors, tons of food, and good company. While there wasn't quite as much outdoors as I'd hoped (rain, melting snow, fog and a cozy fire interfered) but it was a great weekend get-away.

Thursday morning I opened my blinds to see large snowflakes forming a thick layer of white on the city street. Inspired by the wintry atmosphere (and somehow still slightly annoyed by the crippling effects snow has on the barely freezing roads and hills of Seattle) I packed my snow pants, hat, gloves, mittens, and as many base layers as I could imagine I might need--yes, in my head I thought I might run around by the lake once or twice. I headed upstairs for a Thanksgiving brunch with Janna and Dan and after plenty of chatting and coffee, Mike arrived, we picked up Grady, and with two of what would eventually be five dogs, we began our drive to the coast to meet up with Chris and Steve for a long weekend away. Everyone contributed a dish from home (stir fried green beans were my traditional Ushio contribution) and Grady took on the main course--pheasant. Three pheasants!

Aside from the company of good friends and some tasty food, my first trip to the peninsula even resulted in some scenic mountain views. Saturday we made a trip up to Hurricane Ridge where took in the snowy vista and had some good fun in the snow.


No comments:

Post a Comment