Friday, May 11, 2007

the river is like a lake, and the water a looking glass




By now you must think I am obsessed with the sunset and sunrise, with the river and the trees and the sky-- and you're darn right about it.

In my defense however, living in a climate where the sun's absense plays such a drammatic role in your daily routine, I have learned to appreciate the sublte variations of grey that fill the sky. The slightest glimpses of color in a grey landscape are beautiful and the variations of light in the sky on an overcast day can illicit a "wow, look at the clouds!" from my lips.

So now, as the sun rises before 4am and begins to set just before 9:30pm, and the river is slowly moving towards the sea, I find myself awed by the tiniest greenish-grey undertones in the foliage on the island across from us and I can't help but lie down on the rocky riverside to document and share my delight with the rest of you. I hope on some level you can understand the smile this brings to my heart and appreciate one of the tiniest things that make all the difference in my everyday.

1 comment: