Besides joining a recreational soccer team and my latest ventures in competitive sailing on the Puget Sound, reclaiming the garden at my new apartment has been on my long list of things I would like to accomplish since moving in at the beginning of May. It took two full months before I had the opportunity to tackle this task.
While a hot summer day in July is far from the ideal time to take serious action in the yard, I determined this was a do it now or give up hope moment. With some extra days off (due to some delays in the signing of new contracts at work) and the aide of an observed holiday providing me with some friendly extra hands, I decided to go ahead and take on the challenge.
The day before the planned extravaganza, Janna and I made a trip to buy a few new plants for the garden and picked up a bonus when I didn’t manage to find any suitable garden furniture--a charcoal grill! What better way to end a long hard day’s work in a friend’s yard than good company, barbecue and some cold beverages?
Stocked with iced tea and coffee, fresh fruit and music, Janna, Molly, Alisha and I trimmed, moved and planted all afternoon. Day lilies which had not bloomed in years were removed, 20 foot roses were trimmed and a small herb garden established. As the day progressed, our numbers increased, chairs were dragged onto the patio, clippings moved to the backyard, the grill fired up and the first get together since I moved in commenced.
All of these plants look traumatized. I mean, pruned.
ReplyDeleteBut seriously... lovely garden. No snarkiness there. :) I'm glad I could contribute by standing around in those short shorts.