Friday, June 30, 2006

The adventures of gimpy in Hamburg

After Erica left, I decided to take the train back to Sweden instead of flying. Made my way through the scenic wine country along the Rhine River- vinyards, churches, castles and tiny towns all nestled along the banks of the river. If I didn't need to be back in Umea by Sunday, I would have hopped off the train right then and there!

When I arrived in Hamburg I had a 5 hour wait until the next train to Copenhagen. I wandered about town a bit looking for something interesting to do. Watched part of a light/laser/water show on the lake that was supposed to be part of fan fest. I also caught the end of an outdoor opera screening which looked like it would have been fun--several restaurants had set up small tents and were serving food. I soon found myself wandering the streets of a city I had never seen, where I only understand scatterd words of the local language, on crutches, by myself, and in the dark. Sounds smart, huh?

Having failed to find a place to eat, I returned to the train station and as I was looking for a place to sit, I found myself stuck upstairs with only up escalators and NO benches. I guess I must have looked pretty pathetic--the security guard actually turned off the escalator and switched it to down for me!

With three hours left to kill, and it being almost midnight, I didn't want to wander much further. Across the street from the station was bar with outdoor tables so I headed that direction. There I met a guy also going to Copenhagen and travelling in Sweden. I finished the last leg of my journey with him and we decided to meet up in northern Sweden and try to see the midnight sun before he returned home.

No comments:

Post a Comment